Saturday, August 17, 2013

Sugar Sugar - Sprinkles on baked goods style!

Sugar, ah, honey, honey
You are my candy girl
And you got me wanting you
Honey, ah, sugar, sugar
You are my candy girl
And you got me wanting you
(lyrics from Sugar, Sugar by Archies) 
 
I made cupcakes for the first time ever in my life last week! ... no not from scratch but from a cake box mix ... still counts! I wanted to make Breaking Bad themed cupcakes for the season premier.
 
 
I needed blue course rocky sugar sprinkles and I couldn't find the desired sizes Nor was I going to pay $3.00 for a pink lid container of sprinkles. Mind you it was $3.00 for only ONE color and if I wanted the multi color sprinkles for future projects it was at least $5.00. No way jose! 
 
LIGHT BULB moment!!! There is a type of Chinese sugar used to make desserts. It is called Rock Sugar. It is course, multipurpose and costs no more than $2.00 a box. However, you do need food coloring. A person really only needs 3 colors of food coloring: red, blue and yellow. All the colors of the rainbow can be mixed from these 3 primary colors. Food coloring is a tad pricey but I chose to invest in it because it can be used for all types of projects, requires only a drop for each project and it piratically lasts forever. Even tho they have a fancy lid I still store mine in zip lock bags to prevent evaporation. 

Rock Sugar can be purchased from any Asian super market. 
 
The photo below shows how the box looks like and yes that lump between the can of Red Bull (for size comparison) is the largest lump of sugar that came out of the box I brought. Its hammer time!!! Place the lump of sugar in between two towels and go at it. This way you can control the size of sugar lumps and sprinkles you want. Place the pieces of sugar into a bowl and drip one drop of food coloring into it and mix mix mix. I used a fork to sieve out the bigger pieces from my cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment